REFERENCE No:838
COST: £3.50
ORDERS OF £5 OR OVER ARE POST FREE - SEE NOTE AT END OF MAIN PAGE

Description - The BRITTANIA TUBULAR BRIDGE across the MENAI STRAIT, Anglesey (Ynys Môn), Gwynedd
Date - 1916 from Judges list
Size in mm (approx) - 138 X 88
Publisher - Judges Ltd, Hastings
Publisher's Card No. - 4493
Un-used:
Condition -  An excellent photographic quality card with excellent corners
Information - The BRITTANIA TUBULAR BRIDGE was originally built as a tubular bridge in wrought iron by the great Engineer Robert Stevenson and opened in 1826. It was built to carry a twin track railway line over the Menai Strait and complete the London to Holyhead link for boat services to Dublin. Ireland was governed by London then, and many MP's needed speedy access to the Parliament. The bridge led a quiet life until 1970 when some schoolboys created a fire which got out of hand and lit the wooden timbers of the track and the roof. The fire brigade were unable to control the conflagration, and it consumed the wood and buckled the metal. It was closed for two years and re-opened with only a single railway track, without the box girder being replaced. The builders also added a platform above the railway to carry a two lane road. To support the extra weight it was converted to a two tier truss bridge. This involved building two arches below the main spans, and that is what we have today. Photo looking from Anglesey towards the mainland.

 


Satisfaction Guaranteed - Click this link to find out more
HOW TO ORDER

Design & construction by Vic Gardner 2000   Click the 'back' button on your browser to return