|Location - BURY
ST. EDMUNDS, SUFFOLK - Abbot's Bridge.
Built in the late 1100's AD, this bridge carried the wall of the
Abbey over the River Lark. Originally each arch had a portcullis .
This card was originally designed for writing a message on the
bottom in the days when it was not permitted to write anything other
than the address on the back. This is an early divided back type.
|Date - 1902/03
|Size in mm (approx)
- 140 x 88
Publisher - Paul & Mathew's Series
Card No. none
Posted on New Year's Eve with a ½d green stamp of Edward VII,
cancelled BURY ST EDMUNDS DE 31 03, with New Year's Greetings to
Gowen, Stone Road, Upper Hellesdon, Norwich
to the corners,
with a feint crease at extreme lower left. Back has some staining
comensurate with age.